Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Things I Made this Summer

This is the Harry Potter wand I made with my super duper sister and brother in law. All you need is hot glue, white glue, double sided tape, a piece of paper, and paint.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-awesome-Harry-Potter-wand-from-a-sheet-of-/




Our value at camp this year was "virtue". I stamped it onto bronze washers using a metal stamping kit from the craft store. This is my finished nametag- Each girl had one she had to wear at all times.



This is called prince regent cake or prinzregenten torte. It is so good but it took me over 2 hours to make it! It didn't look as good as the one in the photo, but it tastes like heaven.



CAKE: 1 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup hot water, 3 cups flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 cup butter, 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 2/3 cup milk
FILLING: 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate
FROSTING: 10 oz Semisweet chocolate, 1 1/2 tsp oil

PREP
Cake: place 1/2 cup of sugar in a heavy sauce pan. Over medium heat, cook the sugar, stirring until it browns (stir constantly so it doesn't burn). Remove from heat and add the water. Allow to cool. Then sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. I don't have a sifter so I just sprinkled everything into the flour and used a whisk to mix it. In another bowl, cream the butter and remaining sugar together until very light. Beat in the eggs one at a time. In another bowl, mix the cooled syrup in and add the vanilla and the milk. Alternate flour and liquid into the creamed mixture in thirds. Cut eight 8 inch diameter rounds from wax paper or parchment and put on cookie pans. Divide batter evenly between them (this is hard and I didn't make it perfect) so that batter goes to 1 1/2 inch from the edge of the paper. Bake each or 2 at a time for 7-8 minutes. (I poured two, baked two, poured two, baked two).
Filling: In a sauce pan or a double boiler, blend the sugar with the cornstarch and eggs. Whip in the milk and vanilla. Heat over medium heat. Stir in the chocolate. Cook until sauce is very thick. Let it cool. Stack the cakes and put filling in between them.
Frosting: Melt the chocolate and oil together in a double boiler or the microwave (be careful not to microwave it too long or it will burn) While it's still melted, pour over the cake and spread over the sides. Cool it in the fridge until the cake has a hard chocolate shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment